Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Aneya & Lauren: Tutoring.



Lauren: So, since Aneya and I have had trouble finding consistent employment, we've chosen to take matters into our own hands: We're starting our own tutoring lessons.

Aneya: Basically, we're becoming entrepreneurs and starting our own business. Because you know what? We can't wait around forever for someone to hire us! We've been here three months, and I taught one class! Lauren has taught none! We've had enough.

Lauren: It started a few months ago, when I put in a call to our new friend Carl, who is from the states, telling him of my inability to find a job. A few months later, he found two friends of his that wanted private English classes, and I met up with them in the Plaza de Armas. I had no teaching background, so Aneya seemed like the perfect partner. We're starting our classes today.

Aneya: I am honestly so happy to have steady employment now. Not that I didn't enjoy all the traveling and sight seeing we've had the privilege of doing the past few months. That was all great. We've met so many amazing people, had incredible, life changing experiences. But then again, the downtime was getting to be a bit much. There's only so much internet surfing you can do. And, I completed a special course, got certified and came down here specifically to teach!

Lauren: Before we left, everyone said we'd step off the plane speaking English and be hired on the spot, right there on the tarmac. This however was not how things played out. We've been searching in earnest for employment for months, albeit doing some traveling as well. Now we're on the road to our own business! We've got the whiteboard, flashcards, and the first two lesson plans, and, courtesy of Andy Franks, a fancy flyer to spread around the streets of Santiago.

Aneya: I know! Everyone was like, "Oh, just say hello and they'll hire you!" That was not the case. To be fair, a major earthquake did hit in the height of hiring season, and for weeks afterwards the entire country was on hold. But we really did try! (Mom, I'm talking to you! We did!) But nothing was sticking. And now we're all set to go! Andy- that poster is amazing, a big shout out to Mr.Franks for making it happen!

Lauren: At first, I didn't come to Santiago thinking I would be teaching English, but in speaking with people who have learned English and now using my own second language on a daily basis, I can see what doors another language opens for people and I'm excited to help people speak with their relatives, be more marketable at work, and just be able to communicate with more people.

-- Aneya & Lauren

Photo credit: Andy Franks

3 comments:

  1. Side note: We're fixing the grammar mistakes on the poster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was JUST going to comment on that.
    Also, I know that in Argentina they don't use the term "gringas" they usually use the term "yankees." However, it may be different in Chile. -Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have the worst time with sexes for inanimate objects.

    ReplyDelete