Thursday, May 27, 2010

Aneya: Exotic Destinations

Would this be considered "exotic" to you?

When Lauren and I went to Mendoza we met more Anglos than Argentineans, at least in our hostel. The city is a tourist haven, what with the proximity to beautiful vineyards and all the cheap outdoor activities they offer (in the Andes, no less!) We met Canadians, Australians, Americans and Brits.

The Brits were quite chatty and we got to know two different couples, both of whom had travelled extensively throughout Asia. Lauren and I were shocked. You two went where? Oh, the usual: Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia. In Vietnam, the man said, I ate something that gave me a red, itchy rash that lasted the entire month we were there! He laughed about it, but Lauren and I were horrified. Never in a million years would I go to Vietnam on vacation. The thought just wouldn't occur to me.

That's when I realized something. "Exotic" means something completely different to different nationalities. For Brits, an exotic vacation would be somewhere in Asia. The other couple we met had gone on a similar route, but after Thailand had gone on to Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and then Chile. (That end of the trip sounds great!) They told us that Brits love visiting Asian countries, because everything is so cheap, the landscape is beautiful, and it's always an adventure (to say the least).

To the average American, I'd say an "exotic" destination would be somewhere in Europe. The Greek Isles, the South of France, Tuscany, maybe Amsterdam, for the young ones who've heard the tantalizing rumors about it. Even England itself is exotic, for middle Americans that have never left Ohio. I can't imagine an American saying they'd rather go to Katmandu than London. It's just a different mentality altogether.

And what about South Americans? What's exotic to them? I'm gonna say anything North. The farther, the better. I've met a number of Chileans who have traveled to Canada, which I found odd (What's there to do in Canada?) Hey, at least it's far! Going anywhere in the U.S. is also exotic, as is Nordic countries in Europe.

It's interesting to realize that not everyone travels the same. Those Brits we met? They had taken a year off from work and were traveling the world, trying to hit up as many countries as possible. Although that sounds cool, it also sounds exhausting, expensive and downright stressful. Lauren and I both agreed we'd rather do it in bits and pieces, split it up and really take our time in each country. Hopefully, one day, we will.

-- Aneya


5 comments:

  1. Visit me in Colombia...it sounds exotic (and dangerous) to many, but it's home to me! Or you can visit me in the UK...does Bristol sound more exotic than London? Nice post, your entries about different perspectives are great, you really summarise things very well. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exotic to me is anything off the beaten path...in any country. So that could include vacationing in Siberia, Antarctica, the Alaska Bush, northern Finland, the Galapagos, Easter Island....

    incidentally i've named off a lot of cold, desolate places. but they're so interesting! and for alaska you don't even need a passport

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you mention this because most Argentines I met laugh at the fact that anyone calls Argentina exotic because they too consider most countries in Asia or a tropical island "exotic." -Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the positive feedback, Arianne! I would love to visit you in Colombia, although it does have a scary connotation, for some reason (all the drug stories, i think!)

    Brad- of course you would want to go the coldest places on earth! No thank you, Sir! (Except Easter Island. I do wanna go there!)

    -- A.F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I would take Katmandu over London any day.

    --LAW

    ReplyDelete