Thursday, May 6, 2010

Aneya: Old People Party


The other day I was invited to the birthday party of someone in the over 40 crowd. I was curious, what would this party be like? Would it be subdued, people sitting around eating, maybe a glass of wine, some light conversation? I had no idea. But I was about to find out.

My friend who invited me informed me that "it was a boring party, just a bunch of old people" but that we would go, make an appearance, and we could leave if it was no fun. I obliged. But now I was nervous. Was I gonna be introduced to bunch of skeptical relatives? Was I going to have to make conversation....in Spanish? Oh Dios no! I was getting nervous now. We had a previous engagement, to see a friend in a band perform, so we were there until maybe 12:30 when we decided to leave. I was exhausted already, and now this? Crashing an old relative's party at 1 am? This couldn't be good....

We got to the house and the music was blaring, we could hear it from down the street! Cars lined the sidewalk, and we knocked but no one heard us it was so loud. It was a small house, filled to the brim with people, most of them over 50 and dancing their socks off! The impromptu dance party was in the living room, outside was the barbecue and in the kitchen a 10 year old was making cocktails for the crowd. I couldn't believe it. Everyone was super friendly and nice, giving me a besos on the cheek and asking about me (my friend told me "you're like their new toy!")

At one point a man came out with a carving board with cut up meat on it, asking me to take one. With what? My bare hands? I did, not knowing where to put it. There was no plates, no silverware, nothing. Just the meat in your hand. That's a Chilean bbq for you! Take the meat, pop it in your mouth, and you're done with it!

After a few piscomangos I was ready to dance, and we joined the crowd, shaking it to salsa beats, old school American classics and the occasional. reggaeton song. I was having so much fun, I couldn't get over how laid back and relaxed everyone was. They were all smoking, most people were on their 5th piscocola and yet- they were going strong, creating a samba line at one point and getting low for the "Twist and Shout".

Even the 10 year old was still in the middle of the dance floor, by the time we left, at 3 am. I later heard that the party went on until 10 the next day. Oh and it had started at 9 pm. You do the math. It was honestly the most fun I've had at a party since I've been here. And most of the people there were twice my age, maybe more! In any case, I will never again question whether Chileans know how to have a good time. At any age, these people know how to party.


1 comment:

  1. ahem... "old people"?? 40?!... just goes ta show you minnows.... love, L

    ReplyDelete