Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Aneya & Lauren: Getting Robbed.

Lauren: It's happens to the best of us. In a big city, it's almost expected. And it finally happened to us. On our way back from Buenos Aires, about two blocks from our own front door my better half on this blog, Ms. Aneya Fernando was the victim of a crime. Amid the commotion on the bus when we were least expecting it someone opened her backpack and took her purse.

Aneya: I don't even really know what to say at this point, I'm still in a state of shock. It was especially surprising given that we've been living in this city for the past 5 months, have used the metros and the buses countless times, have had such faith in the people and now....this. It was also weird because we'd just been to Buenos Aires, a city we both found way more intimidating and scary than Santiago. This city was our home, nothing bad could happen here. Right? Wrong.

Lauren: In retrospect, other passengers on the bus were trying to warn us. They were indicating certain passengers with their eyes, silently indicating that we should be aware of these men, but after an exhausting international flight we weren't picking up on these cues. All we wanted was to be back home and someone saw their opportunity and took it.

Aneya: It's hard because I keep reliving the moment and thinking, what I could I have done differently? Well, obviously I shouldn't have put my purse in my backpack. But I was carrying three different bags and I thought I'd be easier. We were exhausted and hungry and just wanted to get home. Lauren asked a man next to her for directions and suddenly three men surrounded us, each of them telling us different things, distracting us. It made us both really uncomfortable and we just wanted to get off the damn bus. People were shoving and pushing and when I finally jumped off Lauren realized my backpack was open. And my purse was gone.

Lauren: And really, things could have been so much worse. It's a terrible feeling to have someone take something from you, get that close to you, but the robber didn't attack Aneya. We got back to our front door unscathed, albeit a few emotional scars. If we were in Buenos Aires, largely unfamiliar with the city and only knowing Eric it would have been far worse. Instead we came back here, to our apartment rather than a hostel and started putting things together. It's a hassle to get all new things, but not the end of the world.

Aneya: I've traveling quite extensively throughout my life and nothing like this has ever happened, it's really quite shattering, emotionally. Of course the material things I can replace, it just sucks because I had more in there than usual, since we were traveling. First of all, the bag itself was Coach (so was the wallet) and not cheap. In the bag was everything I hold dear.

My passport, my wallet (with various credit cards and my American driver's license among other things) my iPhone, my Chilean cell phone, my iPod, my camera, my sunglasses, the book I'd just bought at the airport, my notebook, my keys to the apartment, basically everything that's important to me. The camera really hurts the most, because I took so many beautiful shots of Buenos Aires and I'm never gonna get those back. So that hurts. I mean, it all hurts. And it's a strange feeling to come home and realize you have basically nothing. No identity. No money. It's like I don't exist at all.

Of course, all these things are getting replaced. I've been wired money, so I'm not broke, I made a new set of keys, I'm looking into getting another cheap, Chilean phone. But it's just not the same. Nothing is. I have to go to the Embassy to get a new passport, which I guess is a good thing, since the pages in mine were almost all filled up.

This whole thing just really makes me lose faith in people, and that makes me sad. It also makes me overly anxious and suspicious now and my general attitude towards Chileans has changed. Maybe it's just a temporary thing. I don't know. All I know is I'm never using that damn backpack again.


-- Aneya & Lauren

5 comments:

  1. You lost your bag. and that's really shitty.
    but that's it.
    You want to see someone really lose something, visit someone who's lost their house, job
    getting a divorce
    If that happened to you, then you'd really "shatter." It's like you "don't exist at all." Come on. Get some perspective. You should be thankful it didn't happen before, turist and people speaking english in the streets are usually a big and easy target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, when I travel I never take for granted that I'll be someone's target no matter what country I'm visiting (Switzerland, Holland, Spain, etc.). I don't bother carrying a purse and when I would carry a backpack I'd put it in front of me (on crowded buses and trains), sure it's dorky, but I'll know if someone is trying to get into it.

    Look you probably won't receive much sympathy because that's a typical, "What not to do: 101" (purse in back pack on your back where you can't see it), but it's a lesson learned -- you won't be a target, hopefully, ever again and you weren't harmed physically.

    I do, however, really sympathize for your loss of photos and the hassle of having to replace everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aneya and Lauren have a good head on their shoulders and I'm sure they're aware that worse things could happen. They're just shocked and devastated for the moment, their reaction may sound overdramatic, but COME ON, they're two young girls who just got robbed in South America. I'm sure this is Aneya's first time being robbed so she has every excuse to sound a bit "out of perspective"

    This is all a learning experience, of course. I'm glad nothing else happened to either of them. Hope you two are doing great despite this run of bad luck. Don't let this bring you two down, Chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What strange reactions from you guys. All I was doing was simply expressing how I felt, and I get attacked! I think I have plenty of perspective, I in no way said my experience was worse than losing a house or getting divorced. I'm aware that there are many worse things that can happen, and I'm grateful that I wasn't physically harmed.

    But aren't I allowed to be at all upset? Or does that make me a superficial bitch? Cause I think when all your valuables are stolen, the appropriate reaction is the be pissed off and sad. But that's just me.

    I'm sorry if you all think my reaction is juvenile and that I'm an idiot for getting myself in the situation. I probably am. But i already know that. I don't need you all to remind me.

    Oh and thanks for the support, Eric!

    -- A.F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aneya, I actually felt your pain, the pain of losing sentimental value is sometimes just as bad. I once lost (not the same as stolen, but still leaves a void feeling) a small leather money bag my dad gave me. Lost it in Aix, and I cried because it was a special gift given to me. I also had my purse stolen in a theme park in Spain, and my wallet was stolen and 4 mobile phones! I couldn't care less about the phones, but the wallet was the one that hurt most, not because of the money, but because again, it was a sentimental thing, a gift from my aunt/god mother. It's a heartbreaking feeling and although physically most can be replaced, not your pictures and memories, and I feel for you. You're not out of perspective either, you clearly acknowledged the fact you were not hurt. I understand your shock, and only time will heal. Hope you're well otherwise, and that you still had a lovely birthday!

    All the best,
    Arianne

    ReplyDelete