Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Things I'll miss.

1-2. This picture is from an empanada cooking night at our apartment in Long Beach months ago, but it combines two things I'll miss: friends and empanadas.

Chileans have been incredibly nice, and even though I have so many wonderful friends in the states, it took time to develop those relationships. Here you meet someone once and they're someone you'll talk to often.

Re empanadas: although this picture shows me making empanadas, I don't exactly know how to make them from scratch on my own. But they're delicious, like little Hot Pockets filled with onions, cheese, spinach or meat.


3. Architecture: This picture totally encompasses Chilean architecture -- centuries old buildings next to all-glass high rises. Buildings like these are all over the Santiago, and it really feels like a city. I love walking down the street and seeing these two types of buildings right next to each other.



4. This is a shot of Parque Forestal (not mine). This park is about three blocks from our house and stretches for miles through Santiago passing monuments, fountains, and a number of kiltros, mounted policemen, and jungle gyms on the way. I run through the park almost every day, and it is a beautiful view, especially after a rain when the Andes are just huge, and white in the background.



5. Now onto food. I love humitas. They're a lot like tamales, pero without the lard or stuffings and with a corn/onion combination and they're softer then tamales. I think it's because the corn here is so sweet, but these are super delicious.







6. This is a bakery chain all around Santiago that sells an incredible amount of fresh pastries, breads just out of the oven, prepackaged salads, and empanadas. You open the door to this place and it smells amazing.









7. Different flavor things. You can find lucuma, cherimoya, membrillo flavored juices, piscos, and snacks in the supermarket.












Other things: I'll miss taking a bus 10 minutes outside the city and seeing someone tilling their field with a horse-drawn plow or fields of vineyards. At first I wasn't keen on it, but I'll miss seasons, having to wear a coat, taking (or forgetting) your umbrella when you leave. I'll miss the amazingly efficient Metro system here.

But it's a toss up. I miss LA summers. There are about 20 people in the United States I can't wait to see, hug, sit down with, give quirky presents to. I miss how easy it was to be vegetarian. I miss my runs by the beach and the little ceramics studio I go to with Brigid on Saturday mornings and all the other places around LA I have memories with my friends and family. The Pantry on Sunday mornings with my parents. The Pike/Alex's/Fern's any night of the week with Andy. The endless list of concerts, museums, art exhibits, book readings that make Los Angeles "LA" and doing those things with friends I miss. I miss working! I can't believe I almost left that out of the things I miss. I miss meaningful employment. Waking up and doing something that is important to you (almost) everyday, or at least that contributes to world in some way.

I didn't anticipate feeling torn at all when I left. Just "Hey! It's been a great six months. Peace!" That's not even close to how I feel. It's been a wonderful six months. My connection here is stronger than I'd imagined it would be. A lot of big moments happened here. I'm as sad to leave as I am happy to go home to LA. No sé.

I'll be seeing you all on Monday!

-- Lauren

4 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation, I'll arrange for an emapanda cooking class at my parent's house so "we" can both learn to make them. Also, you can buy the dough already prepared in circles (prepackaged) for filling at a couple of stores near Hawthorne. Lastly, I know where you can buy them as well, but homemade vegetarian versions are better than store bought, in my opinion. :) -Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love an empanada class, Evelyn! Let me know when and where!

    -LAW

    ReplyDelete
  3. we states-side people are looking forward to having you back! we'll have to host a themed party in your honor at our place in the OC as well. maybe "margaritaville", even though you weren't in mexico. but it's the thought that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...

    What I'm going to tell you may sound a little creepy, maybe even kind of "supernatural"

    HOW would you like it if you could just hit "Play" to LISTEN to a short, "magical tone"...

    And magically attract MORE MONEY to your life?

    What I'm talking about is hundreds... even thousands of dollars!!!

    Think it's too EASY? Think it couldn't possibly be REAL?

    Well, Let me tell you the news...

    Many times the most magical blessings life has to offer are the easiest to RECEIVE!!!

    In fact, I'm going to PROVE it to you by letting you PLAY a real-life "magical money-magnet tone" I developed...

    And TOTALLY FOR FREE

    YOU just hit "Play" and watch as your abundance angels fly into your life. starting so fast, you will be surprised.

    CLICK here NOW to play the marvelous "Miracle Money Tone" - as my gift to you!!!

    ReplyDelete