Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The World Cup.








This is the best shot I got of the crowd. Of course, I haven't charged my camera and it died before we got to the plaza.

Women leaving the bank the work at the cheer on the crowd.


So first of all, CHILE WON!!!!!! WOOO!!

The game started at 7:00 a.m. here, but yesterday you could tell people were ready for the big match. This has been 11 years in the making and after the victory thousands, literally thousands of people flooded the streets, were on the rooftop waving flags, honking their horns, yelling, chanting Chi-chi-chi-le-le-le!!

It's patriotism I have never before seen ever in my life. Roads were closed for all the pedestrians, people were singing the national anthem, everyone was wearing a flag, people were climbing out of their cars, flags were draped over cars. Flags everywhere. Confetti covering the streets, floating from everywhere. It was insanity.

Normally at 7 a.m. the streets of Santiago are more empty than at 3 a.m., but today I woke up before my alarm at 6 a.m. because of all the people honking in anticipation. Some people were excused from work, or their work brought out the big screens for employees and provided beer (at 7 a.m.). Daniela, Stephen, and I watched the game over breakfast, and the commentators were saying that Suazo (a key player kept out because of a bad shoulder) was needed to assist some goals, but Chile won even without Suazo.

We walked to Plaza Italia and the streets were overwhelmed with people. People were spontaneously cueca-ing in the plaza. Today, everyone was all about the Chilean pride! It was incredible to see. People were deliriously happy. Those who had to be at work left to cheer on the crowd or leaned out windows to watch the pandemonium.

But after a few hours, I assumed things would resume to normal. It is a Tuesday at 10:00 a.m., after all. So I went for my usual run down Parque Forestal, where I have to cross Plaza Italia. That's when I saw the police tanks shooting out tear gas down my running path and a group of 10-year-old boys chased me (teasingly. I was never in any danger family in the United States. Don't worry.)

At some point people got out flares, were throwing each other in the air, and the police decided that was enough for game 1. And I have two more matches left to witness (departing June 27, and game 2 is the 21st against Switzerland; game three 25th contra Spain).

Let's hope Chile keeps it up!!!

-- Lauren

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Can't believe i missed that! But all that noise at 7 am? No thank you!!

    -- A.F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sends chills (in a good way)up my spine when people of one nation unite!
    C-O-N-G-R-A-t-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S to Chile! Good luck in games 2&3!

    ReplyDelete