Thursday, June 17, 2010

Antofagasta/San Pedro de Atacama.




For the last hurrah in Chile I'm headed to the north of Chile alone, but I will say I am quite excited. I have 10 days left here, and six of them will be spent either on a bus, plane, or one of the above pictures.

When we headed down here the place I most wanted to visit was Chiloe. It was said to be magical (literally, magical, like with magical creatures). Unfortunately before that became possible the cold set in, I went on my only job here as a translator, and Chiloe became an impossible trip.

Which is when I focused my attention on the also magical, archeologically rich north.

Some things I'm looking forward to/random facts about the north:

--Rain has never been recorded there -- ever.
--There are mummies that predate the mummies of Egypt by centuries.
--The ocean looks gorgeous (in Antofagasta).
--It is said to be the best place to see stars in the world.
-- There are llamas.
--The towns are believed to be 11,000 years old.
--Precolumbian city ruins are 2 miles outside of town -- walkable.
--There are also volcanoes and geysers.
--Places have strange, mystical names like "Valley of the Moon" and "Plain of Patience"

Wish me luck!

-- Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment