Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Aneya & Lauren: Initial thoughts.

Aneya:

So the time has come. We've been preparing for what feels like months. The flights have been booked, the hostel is ready, the bags are packed (sort of. I had to redistribute a few things here and there because- surprise surprise- I packed too much! Seriously, my one bag weighed more than 70 pounds! People who know me won't be surprised by this) Although I feel this is understandable. I mean, I'm moving to this country, I'm allowed to bring my leather boots AND my bag full of earrings!)

All in all, I'm as prepared as I'll ever be. The anticipation has been sitting in the pit of my stomach this entire weekend, bubbling just under the surface, trying to explode. I've been keeping it in pretty well, but the goodbye's are starting, and that's when I generally start to lose it. I hate goodbye's and this whole week has been a series of them. I said goodbye to my Vegas family last week, and this past weekend I had to say adieu to my two best friends, which brought out the water works.

Tomorrow morning our respective parents are taking us to the airport, which is sure to bring more tears. I have a history of crying at airports, so I'm really hoping I can hold it together tomorrow. It's not so much that I'm sad to leave, it's more that I hate seeing other people upset. In any case, I have so many other things to worry about, but for some reason this is the one thing that's causing me the most stress.

I've been wanting to leave LA for some time now, and I can't even describe how thrilled I am that tomorrow morning I'll be waking up in Santiago. I will dutifully write about all the crazy adventures Lauren and I are bound to get into, not to mention my new teaching career, the prospect of which is both unnerving and exhilarating. Travelling across the country, meeting new people, experiencing life abroad. I'm ready for it all. But for now, it's getting late, the champagne's all gone, the pjs are on. This can only mean one thing: time for bed! Sweet dreams to everyone, and we'll talk tomorrow- straight from Santiago!


Lauren:

What else is there to say? This day has been coming since we booked our tickets in August. Living with Daniela, my former roommate, introduced me to another world. She would talk about how rich in taste the produce was (a big sell), the magical, enchanting island of Chiloe, how old women on the bus will hold your bags if your standing, and I couldn't pass up a chance to visit.

I love Los Angeles. I love all my creature comforts, my family and friends, those good restaurants, cafes, and bars, and the familiarity, but I need an adventure. My bags have been packed since I left Long Beach at the end of December, and I've been carrying around my passport all week. I do have a tendency to get hideously homesick, but stronger than that is the desire to experience something new with some of my closest friends.

I am definitely hesitant. I don't have a job lined up, and although I am fluent in Spanish, my Castellano is terrible. But this was the opportunity of a lifetime, and all those creature comforts and close relationships will be there in who-knows-how-long, when I get back. And when I come back, I hope I have grown as a daughter, friend, family member, writer and generally as a human being.

We will be keeping you posted on all of our crazy adventures, homesickness, loves and hates, and everything that comes with a new life.

-- Aneya & Lauren

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read about your amazing adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have fun! that's one of the countries I wish I had visited in my stay there. I can't wait to hear all about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Please keep the words and pictures coming... you bring us into all your interesting adventures (well, maybe not ALL!) ... I feel like i've been travelling! Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete