Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lauren: My name.

It was the most common name for my year. Lauren. Easy, two syllables, short, but I don´t know what it is (Aneya speculated it was all those consonents) but there is not a soul in Santiago who can pronounce ¨Lauren Williams¨. Aneya and I were in a cab when the cable guy called to install internet at our apartment and the cable guy asked, ¨Oh! I forgot to ask you your name.¨

I said, ¨Lauren. Lauren Williams. L-A-U-R-E-N.¨ (figuring, like most people, he wouldn´t be able to say it).

He snarkily replied ¨No! Your nnnaaammme.¨

´´Si! Eso es me nombre! Lauren Williams.¨

It really is completely impossible for people here to pronounce. The lady we´re renting our apartment from said ¨Well, at least it´s ... unique?¨ when I told her my name. What´s unique about Lauren Williams?


Aneya thinks I should just introduce myself mwith another spicy, latina name that people here can prnounce: Lorena, but I don´t want to use that name because ... well it´s not my name.


And Williams. It´s said every crazy way imaginable. We-yams. Or We-yum. So for now, me llamo "Lorn Weýams.¨


-- Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment