Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lauren: Vegetarianism in Chile.

One of the first questions I heard when I announced that I was moving to Chile was "What are you going to eat?". It's true, Chile is known as being a meat-eating country, but it's also known for its amazing produce. If you head to the boarder you'll notice right away. No eggs, fruits or vegetables can cross this country's boarders.

On every street corner there is a fruit or produce vendor selling amazing looking corn, peaches, apples and nectarines. Aneya and I had a nectarine in Isla Negra and it was superb. And absolutely everything is served with a side of fresh avocado, smashed and salted, to be eaten alongside your food.

Some street food that is common, aside from the crazy hot-dog-with-everything-on-it completo, is the mote con huesillo. Literally meaning barley with the "little bone," which is actually a peach pit with a lot of the peachy parts still on it. The barley sits in a pool of peach juice, and it's kind of tasty.

I haven't had too much difficulty finding vegetarian options, but as Daniela informed me, quite often vegetariana means "with a small side of ham, please." Nothing, thankfully, has come with any meat in it, which has made me really happy.

I've had spinach mushroom ravioli, an avocado, cheese and tomato sandwich, cheese pizza, and breakfast usually consists of fresh fruit, eggs, and these Chilean biscuits (we've been eating out a lot. Certainly I have had more difficulty than I would in LA, and even then it wasn't easy, but it is totally doable to be a healthy vegetarian in Chile.

There are also tons of "Chilean" salads, that consist of chopped vegetables which are very common at restaurants. White beans with onion, tomato and onion, avocado and basically any array of vegetables. The whole avocado-with-everything I can get used to. Avocados here are so good.

Vegetarianism here should also get a bit easier after we get an apartment and I can do some of my own cooking. There is some faux meat here (carne de soya), but it's dehydrated. Just one more small thing to adjust to.

-- Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment