Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lauren: The Grocery Store.

Yesterday I learned something that totally, I can't even say, it revolutionized my thinking about Chile. The baggers at the supermarket will go home with you if you ask them to. They push the shopping cart to your house, take it into the elevator, push it to your front door, and put the groceries on the counter.

They go home with strangers, then push the cart back to the supermarket. Now obviously they won't push it very far, and it's between $1-2 for this service, but I can't get over the fact that these young people go home with strangers! And that the shopping carts go in the elevator! This just blew my mind.

What do their mothers think of this? I know what mine would say if I went into a stranger's home and unpacked their groceries. She thinks I'm already bad with strangers (as do most people), but this is, I mean, unthinkable. Yet, charming, and strange.

This came up when I was helping Daniela apartment hunt and the bagger was pushing a grocery cart down the sidewalk, pausing to help the old woman pick up her dry cleaning. Picking up her dry cleaning. The bagger at the supermarket. I couldn't believe this.

There are other oddities at the supermarket, like how formal certain things are. For instance, you need to have this special number, like a social security number, to get a savings card. Since I am without a RUT (the number) I don't qualify to get a savings card. In the US they hand those things out like it's nobody's business!

So I can somehow get an apartment, internet, a cellphone, but a savings card to Lider is just too much. It's so strange.

-- Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment