Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lauren: Line drying.

Since moving to Santiago, there have been a few lifestyle changes, which is to be expected. But something I have discovered and fallen in love with is line drying. I thought it was something reserved for romantic movies about people living on farms or New York apartments, but when we arrived at our new apartment there was an accordion-style drying rack in Aneya's bathroom. I was astonished to know that people actually use these things. I never saw a drying rack before and had to ask what it was.

The only real inconvenience to the wonders of the drying rack is that I have to annoy Aneya to come through her room to her bathroom to get my clothes. But other than the temporary infringement on Aneya's privacy, everything else about line drying is miraculous.

It's environmentally friendly, a huge sell. Just set up your clothes and let Mother Nature work her magic. Your clothes retain their shape better and (this could be my imagination) but they don't seem to fade in color as quickly. It's safe. I've never hesitated to leave the house because I left clothes out to dry, unlike the dryer which you have to be home to watch. And because it takes a few hours for your clothes to dry, it actually feels quicker. You're not bound to the house because you're doing laundry. After the wash, just hang up the clothes and you can continue about your day. It's amazing. I can't believe I haven't discovered this before.

Certain things obviously won't fit on our little drying rack, like sheets, comforters or anything you want to use the same day really, but other than that, this little line drying thing is extraordinary.

Oh, yeah. It's free, too, after the initial investment of a drying rack. I feel my cleaning life has been changed forever. I'm installing one of these things in the next place I live.

-- Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, (ref: drying rack)...have you gone up to the 'terraza' (aka the terrace of your apartment building) to see if there is a line to dry your bedding? That's usually how it's done in Argentina.

    ReplyDelete